Being a local in a popular travel destination has a unique set of pros and cons. When the rest of the world spends their precious vacation time to explore the place you call home, it can lead to some odd phenomenons. (Cover photo by www.napavalleysegwaytours.com).
1. Your couch is always spoken for.
It doesn’t matter how long it’s been since you last spoke, friends from every stretch of your life will reappear to request a free place to sleep.
2. You are practically a tour guide.
You have a set of answers you give everyone about where to eat and what to do.
3. There are certain things you keep secret.
Your favorite restaurant is a sacred place you only share with your closest out-of-town friends.
4. There are painfully slow drivers EVERYWHERE.
It’s just a fact of life when you live in a tourist town that on a daily basis you’ll get stuck behind people fiddling with their GPS as they move at a snail’s pace down unfamiliar streets. And that’s not even mentioning the massive tour buses.
5. Half the things people travel there for, you’ve never actually done yourself.
But when you finally do, you can’t deny… it really is pretty fun.
6. There are several times of year you hate to leave the house.
Traffic and crowds? No thank you.
7. Wherever you travel, people have heard of your hometown.
More often than not, they’ve already been there or know someone who has, so they tell you ALL about your own city.
8. People ask you for directions on the street on a daily basis.
But you are always polite and helpful no matter how many times you suggest they try Yelp.
9. You’re in the background of countless selfies.
You turn into a champion photo-bomber by simply going about your business.
10. Getting your loved ones to visit is a piece of cake.
They would go whether you lived there or not!
So many Segways.
12. It has some serious perks.
Living where most people vacation doesn’t mean life is one long weekend for you, but it does have some benefits. Often times there are discounts for big events, like how Napa Valley and Sonoma locals get 10% off passes to the Napa Valley Film Festival when they use promo code LOCAL at checkout. Yes please!